Monday, April 25, 2011

REVIEW: Four and Twenty Blackbirds by Cherie Priest

Source: Bought

This is technically the fourth installment in my Women in Fantasy challenge reading. Technically, I'm supposed to have read and reviewed Prospero Lost by L. Jagi Lamplighter, but since it's some kind of retelling of The Tempest, and I'll be reading that play at the end of the month for school, I decided to postpone reading the book until I finish the play. However, here's April's selection, Four and Twenty Blackbirds by Cherie Priest.

This is my first taste of Southern Gothic. I don't really have too much experience with modern Gothic novels, so my only point of comparison is from 18th century British literature (including what is considered the first Gothic novel, The Castle of Otranto). It was definitely cool to see what elements were used (most especially, the moves used with setting to signal different events: like the creepy house is where the mean old aunt lives).

First of all, I loved the setting. My longest stretch living anywhere as a kid was in Mississippi, and most of my family comes from the Memphis region, so I'm definitely more familiar with the South than anywhere else in the country (although I certainly don't sound like it). Chattanooga is one of my favorite cities to drive through; it's really pretty, and I've always wanted to actually spend some time there.

Anyways, Eden Moore, born and raised in Chattanooga, is plagued by something more than just an upsetting family history. She's been seeing the ghosts of three sisters for most of her life. Although scary at first, they end up as quasi-guardian angels when they help save Eden's life after someone who turns out to be her cousin goes on a shooting spree against her. Wrapped up with her desire to figure out why he's so determined to kill her is her search for information concerning her mother, who died during childbirth in an asylum that housed troubled teens. Wading further into the truth reveals an even more disturbing truth than Eden was prepared to face.

The Gothic elements in this story were well-drawn. Like I said, my favorite was the creepy house, with the horrible aunt, that becomes a place where some not-so-nice things happen, and some cases where a storm coming heralds negative events. Then, of course, there's plenty of creepy moments with ghosts (particularly one encounter involving a girl Eden meets at camp who deals with an incredibly unpleasant specter), and the scene where Eden goes to visit the abandoned asylum (definitely the creepiest moment in the book, I think). Like the other Gothic novels I've read, the supernatural elements are not meant to scare you (like, say, a horror film, which does try to make you jump out of your seat). Instead, they create a really rich setting for the story, which Ms. Priest's really gorgeous prose facilitated.

I liked the characters. The family tree, though, is hard to keep track of as Eden uncovers more information. I loved Eden's guardians, her aunt Lulu and her uncle Dave. In a twisted way, I even liked her crazy aunt Eliza, who was the typical mean-as-a-snake old lady, alone in her big house.

The only thing that bothered me about this book was the pacing of the story. There were some different story lines that had to converge into one, but I felt like the execution was a bit choppy, and the ending became kind of rushed. It was even more jarring considering how well written the book actually was. Plus, the ending left me more confused than anything (I mean, I think I got it, but…it was bizarre enough that it wasn't entirely resolved for me). Having said that, it was almost impossible for me to put the book down, and it was a very enjoyable (and creepy) reading experience.

I'm not 100% sure why this was included on a fantasy book list, though. Yes, there's magic, in the occult that is in the book, and there's supernatural elements, but it's not at all something I'd consider fantasy. I'll be curious to see what other readers have to say on the discussion board.

[And just a random aside, but important enough I felt like adding it. Ms. Priest did not write in dialect. It's just that they're from Tennessee, there's only one person from the North, and the accents weren't written in every line, just explained or assumed. And, honestly, maybe Eden didn't have a super-heavy accent, but I could assume either way (as in, y'all wasn't in every other line). I really appreciate this: reading the accent in every line gets super tiresome (Orpheus Descending by Tennessee Williams is a great example-I got through a page), and, seriously, I know her background, it's totally unnecessary and would have completely killed the flow of the book. So, yeah, thanks for that.]

Grade: 3.5/5, leaning heavily towards a 4-the plotting was a bit choppy, but the writing and settings are gorgeous

No comments:

Post a Comment